Sunday, December 30, 2012

Rerouted Again


These South Carolina goats know who loves them


When Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, in the days of King Herod, behold the magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem, saying, "Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We saw his star at its rising and have come to do him homage."

                                                          Mathew 2:1

Beautiful South Carolina motif in cement
The routing on this tour has certainly taken some unique changes from what I preconceived and now, it has changed again. I planned to head for coastal Charleston, SC after visiting Columbia, but again, my intuition stepped in and told to 'move south more directly'. I started my true new trek south at Holly Hill, SC after a cold and rainy night. Although Charleston sounds like a beautiful city with lot's of history;  my objective is not to turn into an icicle if I can help it and that means taking a more direct route to the south.

Saint George, SC police officer Jessica hard at work

This Columbia SC bike shop has a good variety of product
HAPPY HOLIDAY'S TO ALL!


Then Herod called the magi secretly and ascertained from them the time of the star's appearance. He sent them to Bethlehem and said, "Go and search diligently for the child. When you have found him, bring me word, that I too may go and do him homage." After their audience with the king they set out. And behold, the star that they had seen at it's rising preceded them, until it came and stopped over the place where the child was. They were overjoyed at seeing the star, and on entering the house they saw the child with Mary his mother. They prostrated themselves and did him
homage. Then they opened their treasures and offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. And having been warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they departed for their country by another way.

         
                    Mathew 2:6-12 
Low laying water is becoming a bigger part of the coastal terrain

I rode a lot of HWY 15/17 south which took me thru Waltersboro and Ridgeland on my way to Savannah, GA. One thing about riding closer to the coast that I find appealing is the flatness of the terrain. I like to call it 'The Lowlands".

There's an element of culture shock that I've been noticing on the roads. For example, I'll be riding down a country road contemplating how I feel that day, where I'll stop, how far I'll go and how long I'll ride, etc. Then, I'll cross a few roads and suddenly the traffic's a lot heavier with speedy motorists and a vanished shoulder. Things change quickly on the road, proper rest and alertness to your surroundings are essential to survival. I generally don't like riding at night unless the traffic is really light and I have a lot of road to ride

Outstanding lunch specials at this locally owed  Hardeeville, SC restaurant


Curious South Carolina horse

My bucket of bolts at a local South Carolina "Boiled Peanuts for sale Stand"



















1 comment:

  1. Good to hear and see your progress traveling by bicycle across the USA, after meeting you this summer, Francis. Raise the Flag by James More is a book about a journey for fruit of education, and something made in USA thanks to WW2 vet who sees his job as a principal is to keep students in school; this makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete