Sunday, December 2, 2012

INTO VIRGINIA

Ashland, VA trend setters at a Holiday Parade

Virginia State Flag
This place has been to cold for me...moving south.

We saw his star at its rising.
                                               Mathew 2:2

The bike routes moving south out of Washington D.C. were the best I've experienced period! Truly outstanding! I rode the Mount Vernon Trail that went thru Alexandria and followed the Potomac River to George Washington's home (our Countries' 1st President). There I enjoyed the grounds with a Visitors Center. There was even a live band (air force) that played on that Sunday afternoon commemorating Armistice (Veterans) Day.


               I can do all this through CHRIST who gives me strength.

                                                           Philippians 4:13

My decision to move south took me back onto Highway 1 where the traffic and road conditions were challenging. I wouldn't recommend this road to Fredericksburg for cycling. It's fast and in many places shoulder less with lots of hills. I took it though because it's the most direct way to get south...Old Man Winter has been catching up with me.

A voice of one crying out in the desert: "Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight his paths. Every valley shall be filled and every mountain and hill shall be made straight, and the rough ways made smooth, and all flesh shall see the salvation of God,"

                                         Luke 3:4-6
Mother & Children utilizing some fine Washington D.C. area trails
The widening Potomac River south of Washington D.C.

Yours truly with "Georgie Boy" in Mount Vernon
On the south side of Fredericksburg the traffic thinned and I was able to get on HWY 2 and the 301.These were much better roads for traffic volume and safety.

I passed the Quantico U.S. Marine Corps Reservation. This is where my dad Thomas Lee Schaefer trained and was introduced to a militaristic mentality and life style. To the south is Fredericksburg, that's where my parents lived when they first became husband and wife. There, my mother worked at The University of Mary Washington in the summer of 1953. She was the secretary for the President of the University there.

Marine Corp central in Quantico, VA
Hats off to Greg Parker for hosting me at his Ashland, VA home. I tell people "you can never have to many friends" and Greg truly came thru for me on a cold November evening. Not only did I enjoy Greg's hospitality, but I also enjoyed a Holiday Parade in Ashland.
Posing at The University Of Mary Washington's Theatrical Hall (My Mother worked here one summer!)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Francis, How is the maintenance going on your bicycle? Great photos. I am doing promo for book Raise the Flag. Although book sales are slumping like last year Cubs, camping in a tent sucking icicles, and I am thinking I would do better selling shoes like Big Al Bundy and one Imelda Marcos would buy many, I am introducing myself as the author of Raise the Flag, a book about the value of education. Don't make the same mistakes in history by judging Raise the Flag by the cover before you look inside the book at the photos and read the stories. When our principal, one of the fewer WW2 vets surviving today, sees his job is to keep students in school, this makes all the difference because forty years later the author publishes, Raise the Flag. Books make wonderful gifts for birthdays, graduations, and holidays like Christmas and Hanukkah festival of lights or when you don't know what gift to give, reach for Raise the Flag. FB jlesmore@yahoo.com Preview www.jamesmorebooks.com

    ReplyDelete