Sunday, December 23, 2012

Into South Carolina

Old Glory with South Carolina State Flag in tow

Parading enthusiastic Holiday Junior cheerleaders


She gave birth to her first-born Son.

                               Luke 2:7

Yes,the weather is improving as I move south and traffic hasn't been as bad either. A recent routing plan I was following had me visiting Charleston, SC after Laurenburg, NC. After speaking with my dad however; he suggested I contact the son of his childhood best friend Bill Zokan who lives in Columbia, SC. He gave me the telephone number and after a short chat with Tom Zoken, I rerouted myself toward Columbia. The rural roads in South Carolina aren't as hectic as the ones to the north and I've noticed there's more sand around. That must mean I'm getting closer to the ocean! I'm so excited!


Celebrating the Holiday's at the Zoken home...Columbia.
(thanks for the haircut Tom!)

I had the opportunity to visit the Capitol building in Columbia as well as the Zokan household. There, I developed a better understanding of the South Carolina State flag. The Palmetto is the official tree of South Carolina and is represented on the flag. The Palmetto is a type of native palm tree and became famous in these parts by  providing adequate protection from the British warships. A Charleston area fort was built using this soft wood and it was effective at repelling cannonball fire as well as providing shelter from the wind, rain and cold. Additionally; the crescent shape on the flag represents the armor soldiers wore around their necks in times of battle.

The right price for lodging in Waltersboro, SC

Mike Gainey was very helpful at his Hartsville, SC machine shop

The right place for my needs in Camden, SC



South Carolina is COTTON COUNTRY too!


                                      And the Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us, and we saw his glory, the glory as of the Father's only Son, full of grace and truth.

                                                                             John 1

Although winter is upon us, the southern weather has been less extreme compared to the north. The nights get chilly, but the daytime temperatures have been ideal for riding. I've been treating myself to more hotel visitations compared to earlier in this tour, primarily because they're available. Lot's of competitive rates for travelers in the small towns I've visited, and that means more hotel for your money in my book! You'll notice a few of the more memorable hotels I've supported in pictures on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment