Sunday, December 9, 2012

Moving South

Holiday cyclist street riding at Ashland, VA Holiday Parade.



The child to be born will be called holy, the son of God.
                                                              Luke 1:35  


Although I continue to move south the winter weather is catching up with me faster than I move. Irregardless, I tell myself that the warm Florida winter keeps getting closer with each mile. Night temperatures have been getting into the 20's here in Virginia. At this location in my tour I've been moving west at the same ratio as south, so if I'd go east to the coast I'd only be going out of my way.


Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: "Now have salvation and power come, and the Kingdom of our God and the authority of his Anointed."

                                                         Revelation

Living large in downtown Richmond,VA

My hammock setup in a Virginia Bamboo forest

I've acquired a bit of poison ivy recently, or at least that's what I think. I sometimes set up my hammock late at night with limited viability in wooded areas. Certainly, I've encountered something nasty, and the skin on my left wrist is irritated, swollen and tender. Calamine lotion is now my good friend as I try to manage this long, slow recovery.

Deep in study enjoying some Holiday nog.

Handsome Wall Painting in downtown Richmond Even tax collectors came

The crowds asked John the Baptist, "What should we do?" He told them in reply, "Whoever has two clocks should share with the person who has none. And whoever has food should do likewise."  Even tax collectors came to be baptized and they said to him, "Teacher, what should we do?"He answered them, "Stop collecting more than what is prescribed." Soldiers also asked him, "And what is it we should do?" He told them, "Do not practice extortion, do not falsely accuse anyone, and be satisfied with your wages."

Now the people were filled with expectation, and all were asking in their hearts whether John might be Christ. John answered them all, saying, "I am baptizing you with water, but one mightier than I is coming. I am not worthy to loosen the thongs of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. is winnowing fan is in his hand to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire." Exhorting them in many ways, he preached good news to the people.

Luke 3:10-18

Rural Virginia Turkey Vultures waiting for some roadkill to eat
Top of City Hall on a sunny day in Emporia, VA
I'm better at dealing with the cold or heat compared to wet weather. I'm always grateful when the roads are dry and there is no snow, sleet or freezing rain to deal with.

The roads were much better as I moved into rural Virginia. I basically stayed on HWY 301 to the North Carolina state line.


And Mary said: My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior."

                                   Luke 1:47
More outdoor artwork in Richmond, VA


Pedestrian bridge over the James River in Richmond


















2 comments:

  1. Looks like the St. James is running low. Mississippi is too, lack of rainfall for season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although book sales are slumping like last year Cubs, camping in a tent sucking icicles, and I am thinking I would do better selling shoes like Big Al Bundy and one Imelda Marcos would buy many, I am introducing myself as the author of Raise the Flag, a book about the value of education. Don't make the same mistakes in history by judging Raise the Flag by the cover before you look inside the book at the photos and read the stories. When our principal, one of the fewer WW2 vets surviving today, sees his job is to keep students in school, this makes all the difference because forty years later the author publishes, Raise the Flag. Books make wonderful gifts for birthdays, graduations, and holidays like Christmas and Hanukkah festival of lights or when you don't know what gift to give, reach for Raise the Flag. FB jlesmore@yahoo.com Preview www.jamesmorebooks.com

    ReplyDelete