Sunday, January 6, 2013

Into Georgia

Georgia State Flag

I've been following HWY 17 S throughout Georgia but I had to take a free ferryboat across the Savannah River to get into Savannah. I picked it up at the Savannah International Trade and Convention Center and it took me into downtown. So much history and many beautiful parks, the Spanish moss seems to love growing around here too,  it's certainly abundant. I actually grabbed some and ate it while cycling! Good stuff I must say...lots of mild juice and very fibrous. I imagine that there could be a good market for Spanish moss in the health food industry. Maybe it' already there. 

  Georgia landscape with large oak tree and Spanish Moss



The people were filled with expectation, and all were asking in their hearts whether John might be the Christ. John answered them all saying, "I am baptizing you with water, but one mightier than I is coming. I am not worthy to loosen the thongs of his sandals. He will baptize with the Holy Spirit and fire."

After all the people had been baptized and Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, heaven was opened  and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came down from heaven, "You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased."


                                                                            Luke 3:15-16,21-22

A picturesque southeastern Georgia late afternoon winter sky.
Modern bridge over Savannah River
                                                              
Smallest church in North America (south of Eulonia, HWY 17)

Quality room at affordable price Townsend, GA















Moving south from Savannah traveled thru Richmond Hill and the Eulonia communities, but the most memorable experiences were in the Brunswick area, this included a trip across the causeway to Saint Simons Island. What a lovely place with very friendly people in a laid back environment. There, I got my first real taste of the Atlantic ocean on this tour. I was able to walk out on a public pier, experience a lighthouse and smell the ocean. I truly love the ocean and I'm so happy to be close to it again.

Shorebirds on St. Simons Island pier


Looking at Jekyll Island from St. Simons Island

Best staff in Brunswick, GA 2715 Glynn Av
Florida isn't to far away now. I'm planning to spend more of my time exploring the eastern coast.

1 comment:

  1. Dont know about eating it but definately dont use it as a sleeping cushion. Full of red bugs and mites.

    ReplyDelete