Sunday, November 25, 2012

Washington D.C....extended stay


Washington Monument with WWII Memorial in foreground


Breathe on me, breath of God, so I shall never die, but live with you the perfect life in your eternity.
Edwin Hatch 1835-1889


During my 2 week layover in Washington D.C., I had the opportunity to get acclimated to the Metro Transit system. I was a bit overwhelmed at first, but after I bought a SMARTCARD I got the hang of it. Getting a card is the most economical way to use public transportation in D.C. because you can use it on buses and pay a discounted rate compared to paper tickets (more environmentally friendly too). I liked the METRO riders because they seemed to all be so well behaved and well dressed. I was impressed with the general ambiance of this city...I felt like I was surrounded by some very intelligent and well informed folks. 
Enjoying some sunshine and warmer drier weather at the Jefferson Monument.


Washington D.C. is a high end MECCA for cyclists with many miles of developed bicycle lanes on city streets and around the tourist areas. It's easy to rent a bicycle too. There are even pedicabs in and around town. Pedicabs are human powered vehicles that are propelled by pedal power. The operators will give you a narrated tour and get you to destination quickly. It's certainly more fun than riding in a taxicab.


United States Secret Service Seal
The Lord's Prayer I

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen

Washington Monument

Some incredible architecture around town. I think the center of attention is the Washington Monument. It stands 555'5" and has a base 55' X 55".  The height is exactly 10 times it's base. This structure has a unique history and was the world's tallest building for many years. There are 2 different colors of stone that were used to construct it. The rock came from 2 different quarries. The construction went dormant for over 10 years due to lack of funds, but the civilian conservation corps and the army core of engineers were instrumental in completing this project.

Other notable buildings beside the famous monuments, Capitol, and museums were the Treasury Department, Commerce building, and the White House.

American Flag outside of the Commerce Department
Act of Love

O my God, I love you above all things, with my whole heart and soul, because you are all good
and worthy of all love. I love my neighbor as myself for the love of you. I forgive all who have injured me, and ask pardon of all whom I have injured. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment