Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Over To Michigan...The Great Lakes State!

Jesus answered and said onto her, "Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life".
                                                                    John 4:13,14

Michigan borders on four of the five Great Lakes and boasts of 3,100+ miles of freshwater shoreline. The only other place on earth that has a larger concentration of freshwater is a remote area in Siberia. If freshwater is essential to supporting life on earth, Michigan's got it!

I boarded the S.S. Badger in Manitowoc after a very welcome visit with my brothers Chris and Tom Jr., Sue and niece Christina. They made the effort to meet me at the SS Badger ferry terminal on their way to Door County (which is at the tip of Wisconsin's northeastern peninsula). The boat carries a variety of cargo (besides people) including cars and trucks between Manitowoc, WI and Ludington, MI. This is a popular route because is significantly shortens the distance between these geographic areas. A drive would take at least twice the time as the 3 hour ferryboat ride. The impressive vessel had live entertainment, a theater, food courts, sleeping quarters as well as spacious decks to enjoy the Lake. That was the best $80 I spent in a long time!

Upon departing the historical ship, I attained a free Michigan map at the Visitor's Center and reanalyzed my itinerary. My first night in Michigan was spent at a local Ludington campground. There, I shared space and stories with cyclists I met on the boat as well as a group of teenage girls I met at camp. 

O Jerusalem, glorify the Lord, who gives you your fill of finest wheat.
                                                                        Psalm 147:12,14

Michigan State Flag
I am the living bread that came down from heaven, says the Lord; whoever eats of this will live forever.
                                                                                   John 6:51
Sacred Fire from a Point Beach fire pit campground

Family Mug Shot...
The bread that I will give, says the Lord, is my flesh for the life of the world.
                                                                             John 6:51


 Matroness of Lake Michigan...niece Christina

Sunny Daytime Deck of the cruising SS Badger

Leaving Manitowoc Harbor for a 3 hour trip across the Lake

Enjoying the Open Waters of Lake Michigan

Cutting a wake Starboard side

Working a way into Ludington Harbor via SS Badger

Beautiful Ludington, MI beach on a hot summer day

The next day, I was the last one to leave camp but enjoyed the opportunity to meet some new neighbors who treated me to a homemade breakfast! What a life I'm living...great weather, great food, great friends...GREAT TIMES! After enjoying some beautiful Lake Michigan east coastline, I worked my way onto HWY 10 but was discouraged at the volume of traffic. Safety should be the #1 priority for cyclists and I must admit that it was a bit scarey getting on the roads again after such a leisurely stint on Wisconsin's cycling trails

No comments:

Post a Comment