Sunday, August 12, 2012

MICHIGAN'S LOWER PENINSULA

Classic American car for sale

I am the living bread that came down from heaven, says the Lord. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever.
John 6:51-52
Rural Lower Peninsula Michigan corn field

Supreme Rail to Trail that's recently been completed

A country look at the Pere Marquette Trail

With the Lord there is mercy; in him is plentiful redemption.
Psalm 129:7 

My bucket of Bolts

Midland, MI Water Park (nice place on a hot day).

Fun Country Town

Beautiful Lake Huron in the late afternoon.

3310 Bay City Rd Midland, MI bikeshop...great service!
726 Huron Ave. Port Huron, MI bike shop...friendly staff!
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in them, says the Lord.
                                                                             John 6:56

In Reed City I discovered a bike trail that runs east/west called the Pere Marquete Rail Trail. This route was recently completed and runs from Ludington, MI to Midland MI. What a excellent path! It was so nice to get off HWY 10. Unfortunately, I didn't find this trail earlier. In the winter, this is a popular route for snowmobilers and cross country skiers.

I really enjoyed the flat terrain of  the lower peninsula; an ideal place for a cross country cyclist carrying a lot of weight. Many people comment on how much stuff I carry, but I like to tell them that I like traveling in comfort and luxury.

Instead of taking the most direct route to Canada, I decided to tour lower Michigan's thumb region. Cities included on this stretch were Midland, Bay City, Bad Axe and Harbor Beach. Special thanks to Bad Axe Methodist Pastor, Jerry Sutton and family for their generous support on this leg. The worship center is located at 165 Pigeon Road No shortage of beautiful country and fresh air in rural Michigan.

Many beachfront property owners on Lake Huron and throughout the Great Lakes have been effected by  lowered water levels. This means a longer journey to the water and in many instances a muckier one. The invasive grass phragmites or elephant grass (similar to cattails) has become a hindrance to coastal accessibility. There's been debate and conflicts of interest as to how to deal this this new species of grass. Should it be cut down to provide beach access, or allowed to grow and make recreational activities in that area virtually impossible?  This is a big issue for local landowners, politicians and tourists.


No comments:

Post a Comment