Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Galveston O Galveston


GALVESTON CAUSEWAY
Walk while you have the light.
                              John 12:35

The Gulf Coast City of Galveston is one that I'm glad I took the opportunity to get to know better. The bird life is more than I imagined. Today I saw a Roseate Spoonbill, a White Heron and a Sandhill Crane (migrates here for the winter) . It's a great birding destination because its brackish bay bay waters provide ideal nesting and feeding grounds for crustacean eaters like the Roseate Spoonbill. I am intrigued by the wildlife around the ocean and Galveston has afforded me this fulfillment. It's been a long time since I've seen the ocean...what an honor to spend a travel day next to it!

The city has installed a variety of large cast cement blocks that are designed to prevent erosion of the scenic coastal road. I don't know how effective they are in the long term verses the forces of mother-nature but in the interim, they appear to function well. The residential homes throughout coastal Galveston Island are designed to withstand floods and hurricanes. The residential quarters of homes are on the second floor, while the garage and car ports are ground level. The coastal homes are actually built on big stilts. After looking around today, I've come to the conclusion that this place deals with a lot of flooding from hurricanes. My host last night Kenny Wegner displayed a water level that was reached after Hurricane Ike had it's way with this community in the not to distant past. 



No comments:

Post a Comment