Tuesday, February 21, 2012

LOUISIANA...at last

Louisiana Graveyard

Texas was waffly fun

My Road Machine

Yours Truly with Silver Silo
Chilling at the Sabine River

A
A  Lake Charles Wildlife Strut

Bridge to Lake Charles, LA
Ask and you will recieve. Seek, and you will find.
                                                     Mathew 7:7

After heading northeast from the Bolivar Peninsula, I traveled to Winnie, and Beaumont. I found a couple great museums on the east side of Beaumont including the 'Museum of Energy'. Although I'm not a geologist, scientist or engineer: the Energy Museum is dedicated and effective at educating it's patrons to the production, transportation and refining of crude oil into gasoline and or other petroleum based products. If you're looking for something to do in Beaumont, I think it would be time well spent at either the Energy Museum, or Museum of Contemporary Art.

I continued east on Highway 90 to Vidor and Orange where I invested in a hotel room to get out of the steady rain. I made it to Louisiana the next day after the roads dried up, then into Lake Charles. The IH-10 bridge to Lake Charles is not assessable by bicycle, so I looped around the north side of the city to get to the lake.

A 50+ mile cycling day is a productive one for me.  So far in Louisiana, I've already had a few. I'm in Lafayette now for Mardi Gras. This is the second biggest parade route of it's kind in the country behind New Orleans. I feel like I'm in the right place to party Cajun style!

2 comments:

  1. Francis
    It was a pleasure to talk to you the other day. I hope my neighbors in Louisiana are kind to you. I wish you well on your your journey. I look forward to following your blog. Take care, and by all means ride safe.
    Your friend
    Drake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your interest in my travels Drake. Yes, the folks in Louisiana were outstanding with the exception of the Lady in Houma who ran a stop sign and knocked me off my bike. Thankfully, she stopped before running me over.

      Best of health and wellness to you Drake.

      Delete