Monday, February 27, 2012

Cajun Country-Low & Slow

Graveyard Poetry
Healthy Livestock

Lowland wildrice field




God's Greatest Commandment
The Lord shall be your light forever.
                                        Isiah 60:49

I've had the opportunity to experience some new foods in Louisiana...seafood stew, boiled crawfish, boudain and e'toufle are some of them. These aren't popular franchised foods however: they've been developed locally and have a distinguished flavor. Nothing like a home cooked meal southern style. You can find some great small family owned eateries that serve good Cajun food in this Southern part of Louisiana known as Cajun Country.

The time that I've spent in Louisiana has been much better than my previous visits. I attribute this outstanding experience to my expectations. One of those is to not be in a rush to get places and accomplish tasks. It's nice to travel via bicycle and not be on a tight time schedule.

Graveyards have been outstanding places for me to photograph and visit. The winter low cloud ceiling and gray skies have given me a eerie yet soothing aura with the land. This rural part of Louisiana is rich farmland because of the easy access to bayou and river waters. The muddy rivers and standing water give mosquitoes good nesting areas too. Because the land is so flat, it indicates that this land is subject to major floods. I'm sure rivers, lakes and streams  here have changed the terrain in major ways within recent history thru flooding. I've seen plenty of turtles, and even some alligator roadkill.

Highway 90 has been the primary route for me, Layfayette, Broussard, New Iberia and Morgan City have been some of the places where I've explored on this leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment