Monday, May 28, 2012

More River Crossings

Reception Area at "The Lodge"-Pere Marquette State Park, IL

Bike Trail to Grafton, IL from Alton

Old Glory flys here


Scenic River route
State of Art Modern Bridge to Alton ,IL from Missouri


My Buddy at The Finn Inn in Grafton, IL
For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not your harm, to give you a future with hope.
                                                                                        Jeremiah 29:11

On this leg, I crossed the Missouri River, then the Mississippi. It will be many moons before I cross these rivers again. The weather has been feeling like the "dog days of summer" and June hasn't even arrived yet. Temperatures have been in the 90's for daytime highs, but the high humidity is the true culprit. That makes it feel extra hot. The bugs have been an issue too. With all that stated, I do miss the climate in my hometown of San Diego, CA. There, it doesn't get to hot in the summer or to cold in the winter. Low humidity, with sunny skies are common as well.

The stretch of bike route between Alton, IL and Pere Marquette State Park is the most beautiful piece of river bike route I've experienced anywhere. The bike lane is dislocated from the road with winding river scenery. Along this stretch you'll enter Grafton. I would recommend spending some time in this quaint little river town because it's home of The Fin Inn aquarium restaurant.. This restaurant features assorted aquariums that contain local river life. I ate my grilled catfish in front of a 65+pound snapping turtle. A few years ago, I came through this area on a different cycling tour and  met a local fisherman who caught a snapping turtle and donated it to this restaurant. He's the fellow who initially told me about this place with gleaming pride. His turtle has gained 25 pounds in it's new home. I don't know if the turtle I spent time with was the same one he caught but my time here was time well spent. This turtle's head was the size of a cantaloupe melon.

Pere Marquette State Park is a strong recommendation too. The Park is the largest in Illinois and is named after the French Jesuit priest who is one of the first known European explorers in this area. The Lodge boasts a spacious conference area with a large fireplace and notable chessboard. I like chess and here I had some opportunity to encounter competition.
This is One Large Snapping Turtle...65+_ pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment