Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Into Arkansas "The Natural State"

American & Arkansas Flag
Another Bridge Crossing

Recommended eats in West Memphis, AR

Flooding the Rice Fields

Rice Field Workers

 Turtles making Whoopie!

Patient Speckled King snake waiting for another meal

Nice Countryside on this road
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
                                                     Psalm 23:1             

After crossing the river again (first time:took ferry into New Orleans) I descended into West Memphis, AR. This city is much smaller than Memphis, TN and further inland as well. My ride up HWY 61 was rewarded with spectacular vistas of farmland and visions of feeding the world!

 I playfully boast that the Mississippi River is the 'Backbone of American Culture'. This river connects America's interior to the world.  Rice, corn, wheat  and soybeans are a few of the diverse foods that these fertile lands have the ability to produce in large volume.  I don't know how to solve a lot of the world's hunger problems but what I see around this river can make a bigger difference. It's hard to know where to start in terms of 'feeding the hungry' but with the natural resources of the river and it's surrounding lands I believe this is the bread basket for the world. It's not easy to understand famine, war and poverty. Are these political problems? Are people just lazy? If anybody has a magical solution to these terrible circumstances that so many are effected by, I would like to know the answer.

 I would like to make some kind of difference in this world for the better. I think that means education. America is a country rich in natural resources, we has the technology and material to be bigger exporters to countries that need our help. I see this starting in private business and eventually growing into making it a priority of our government to feed the hungry. There should be a humanitarian law in this world that no living person should suffer from malnutrition and die of starvation. Maybe this sounds Marxist but many who are effected by starvation don't have opportunities to help themselves.Malnutrition of any person in this world should be a humanitarian issue that is a government priority.  What's the answer? Sell birth control and bombs? I think they could use some food before they are confronted with other issues.

1 comment:

  1. Francis,
    Hi, it is Leandra from St. Louis, MO. I met you tonight at Orange Leaf. I feel very honored that I had the opportunity to chat with you. I am excited to read through your past blogs and I look forward to following you in your travels.
    May God bless you on your journey.

    ReplyDelete