Monday, June 4, 2012

Going to Chicago

Carlinville's downtown square with courthouse in the background

Large farm machinery for big agricultural jobs

Nice to pick up this road...not as much traffic

Soothing freshwater near Chetham, IL

Excellent Bike path between Chetham and Springfield
I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths. When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run you will not stumble.
                                                                                        Proverbs 4:11   

Upon leaving Pere Marquette State Park (largest recreational park in Illinois), I rolled back to the northeast. No shortage of challenging hills moving away from the river, but they were temporary and flattened out as I moved further into Illinois. I spent time in Jerseyville before moving into the larger municipality of Carlinville. There, I picked up the "Mother Road" also known as the Old Highway Route 66. This road was completed in 1926, but officially was decommissioned in 1985. The completion of the interstate highway took the place of this mostly 2 lane highway between Chicago and Los Angeles. This road is popular among motorcyclist's because it has less traffic volume compared to the interstate. In many segments however; route 66 has been replaced by the Big Road. Most traffic between Saint Louis and Chicago now follows I-55, route 66 parallels it and the traffic is manageable. I recently did a 15 mile night ride and had the road mostly to myself.

Picturesque rolling farmlands dominate the countryside in Central Illinois. Lots of fertile soil and ample rains provide consistent corn and bean crops to local farmers. Not much irrigation around here.

The weather has been hot and it's not even summer yet! Thankfully, I've had the opportunity to visit some public pools where I enjoyed getting cleaned up while cooling off.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Francis, It was great meeting you yesterday and sharing a drink in Algonquin. Your trip expresses freedom and adventure for me and I'll enjoy following your travels. Good luck and wishing you safe travel.
    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister and I couldn't get over how far you have already traveled. Luck and safe travels, we will be checking the blog out from time to time to see where you are! Oh, and the name of that gap in the Pan American Highway bugged me all the way home, its the Darien Gap, duh.

    ReplyDelete