Thursday, October 27, 2011

Preparing for a Grind

Happy to be breaking in my newly built 40 hole rims with 14 gauge spokes and Phil Wood hubs.


Some rest and relaxation is mandatory in my routine
Love one another as I have loved you.
                          John 15:12

Today starts the real test of what I am as a rider. I'm comfortable with my equipment and I'll be putting it to the test with assents to Superior and Globe. There is a dangerous old mining tunnel that I plan to go thru between these two towns, it's the only road available as far as I know. This tunnel on Highway 60 is not designed for bikes or a 2 lane highway from what I understand. It was built to get copper mining equipment about .5 miles through a mountain. Now it functions as a major thoroughfare for public usage. With no bike lanes, fast moving heavy traffic and a tough upgrade with a fully loaded bike; this climb should be a unique experience. I hope to live to tell another story.

Last night a rain storm suddenly appeared after I prepared my tent less camp for another night under the stars. At dusk I wanted to watch the 6th game of the World Series and headed toward a local pub in Gold Canyon. Upon learning that the game was postponed due to inclement weather I noticed people rushing inside wet and frazzled. A strong storm was blowing thru and it was to late to get my camp stuff to a dry location. Irregardless; when I made it back to camp, I just turned my wet air mattress over and unfurled my wet sleeping bag. I'm amazed at how well I slept considering the conditions. The storm departed as quickly as it came. Now my stuff is drying out on a warm sunny day.

With Blessings,

Brother Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment