Monday, October 3, 2011

Finally on the road

Maybe there's a gold in those hills
 A great Prophet has risen among us; God has looked favorably on his people.
                                                                                  Luke 7:16

I finally got on the road after several weeks of delay. I'm posting this from beautiful Pine Valley, CA where I'm enjoying a breezy sunny day with temperatures in the 70s. The free WiFi signal from the closed public library is nice too. I might be a little crazy to be leaving this beautiful place but I am only answering my calling.

My vehicle is tucked away, other possessions sold (as many as I could find buyers for)  and I'm officially en route to new horizons. The mountains have been a challenge and the miles are earned. My longest day has been only 20 miles. I'm carrying more gear than I'm used to including cooking materials an extra sleeping bag and a fine bottle of Don Julio Tequila given to me by a dear friend Joe Cardenas (retired Park Ranger San Diego). The city of San Diego has proclaimed 30 March to be Joe Cardenas recognition day. How ironic that I have such an intimate relationship with such a big wig local.

I noticed my first flat tire today after waking up to a cool mourning. I'm skeptical about using tire liners because I've had problems with them before. I'm still liner less but am considering reinvesting in them because of the junk on the road besides thorns that can find their way into my tires (like the wire I found this mourning).

No comments:

Post a Comment