Sunday, October 28, 2012

Harrisburg, PA...Capital City

Checking out Pennsylvania's State Capitol building in Harrisburg



Forsake me not, O Lord, my God;be not far from me! Make haste and come to my help, O Lord, my strong salvation!

                                                                            Psalm37:22-23


Harrisburg became the capital city in 1812. The original capitol building burned down in 1897 and rebuilt in 1906 using the Italian Renaissance style. Theodore Roosevelt helped design this later structure.

Stone Bridge over the Susquehanna river near Harrisburg

Pennsylvania is a large state and very mountainous. I've found that staying on roads that follow rivers has been the most efficient way to make miles. The Susquehanna River has been the waterway that's been best for me in central PA. The shoulders are generally good on PA147 and the grades not as extreme as northern PA.
Pink fountain water outside the Capitol in honor of breast cancer awareness month


You will show me the path of life, the fullness of joy in your presence, O Lord.

                                                                     Psalm 15:11


Harrisburg, PA is the Capital of the state and there is a lot of early American history around here. The top of Capitol building has the same form as our National Capitol in Washington DC.
Interior view of the Capitol Dome


Whoever loves me will keep my words, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him.

                                                                            John 14:23


One thing that I value about this state are the low taxes. It's roughly 6% sales tax on everything you buy compared to the 8.75% in my home state of California or 13.5% in Canada.
Schiano's Ice Cream stand on HWY 47...the place to be in Herndon

Harrison was a helpful citizen in Dalmatia

Pennsylvania's early development was effected by America's westward expansion in some catastrophic  environmental ways. In the 1800's many forests were decimated and lands poisoned in an effort to extract coal , minerals, timber and other elements. Various animals became extinct or endangered due to man's quest for natural resources. The early 1900's were the worst times for the natural landscape. Thanks to the efforts of futuristic leaders who replanted trees and made efforts at cleaning up waterways, today's Pennsylvania is more pristine than 100 years ago. Better forestry and mining tactics have resulted in less environmental impact and damage. In turn, native animals have returned and the landscape appears very upbeat. I've truly had a great time visiting this state.
Some elevated lands in the Valleys of the Susquehanna region of Pennsylvania

Good place to hang around for a WIFI signal
Truly...Country Living!





Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me  shall have life because of me, says the Lord.

                         John 6:58

No comments:

Post a Comment