Sunday, August 19, 2012

Canada-International Border Crossing

Local Seagull enjoying the beautiful St Clair River

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, says the Lord, and I will raise him up on the last day.
                                                             John 6:54

Lake Huron is muddier and has a shallower coastline than Lake Michigan

The earth is replete with the fruits of your work, O Lord; you bring forth bread from the earth and wine to cheer the heart.
                                                                 Psalm 103:13-15
Hard working Great Lakes barge in transition

Fishing lines accenting the Port Huron bridge (to Canada) on the Saint Clair river

Two Countries border the Saint Clair river.
                                                        
Your words, Lord, are spirit and life; you have the words of eternal life.

                  John 6:63,68


I took the $1.00 ferry from Marine City, MI to Sombra, ONT, into Canada but wasn't allowed to continue my travels in Canada. After a chat with the Canadian customs officials, I learned that you must have at least $5,000.00 available and be able to prove it with cash or a bank statement. This, I assume is a liability issue with health services. It is also recommended that you have your own health insurance. No firearms or pepper spray allowed to cross the border. There are many rules, laws and regulations that apply to international travelers. Fortunately, I was able to get into Ontario after a 2 day setback that forced me to attain the needed documents. Oh, there was a rainy day that halted my progress too.

The St. Clair river is one of the most beautiful rivers I've experienced. It's clear and blueish-green in color. I thought about the colors of Caribbean waters when I saw it. It flows south out of Lake Huron, then into Lake St. Clair. The river that flows out of Lake St. Clair is the Detroit River and it flows into Lake Erie.

The Zebra mussel is a non-native species that's been a concern among Great Lakes users within recent history. This animal has found a new home in this valued water system primarily as a result of foreign ships entering the waters and opening their bilge drainage systems. Environmentalists biologists and political activists are concerned about the food these mussels eat. Are they taking it from the small fish that grow up to support the sport fishing industry? Needless to say, however, I've never seen the Great Lakes and it's connecting rivers look so clean. These mussels are efficient cleaners of the water. They eat many of the microorganisms that cloud the water and make it look dirty.

Once I crossed the boarder I noticed that the value of the U.S. has weakened compared to the Canadian dollar (Loonie). The current exchange rate is approximately $.95 U.S. to $1.00 Canadian. Many grocery and department stores won't give you that rate. They'll give you $.90 to $1.00. Some places will give you an even exchange rate, I guess it depends how much they want your business. It pays to shop around.

One thing I must state in closing about Canada and it's people in general is, "these are the nicest folks I've met...anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment