Friday, March 23, 2012

Moving North

Tremendous Sky with popular flags
I sure wish this road had more shoulder
Woodville's Town Square Cafe locals

Not a bad place to slow down some
Fortunately I had the opportunity to spend a few nights at a Warm Showers  facility in Jackson, LA. Perry and Lep hosted me on their 5 acre facility, as well as  three other riders on tour during my stay. Warm Showers is a organized hosting and being hosted community groomed toward the touring cyclist. Although my time with Perry and Lep was my first experience with Warm Showers, I was familiar with the organization's primary objectives (check out warmshowers.com). I'd researched some hosting parties in Texas, but my plans there never formulated into a sleepover. A lot of the warmshowers facilities are near well known touring routes documented with adventurecycling association.org. Adventure Cycling is well organized. I would recommend that anybody considering a bike tour research this site while planning their tour.  They sell maps and have several traveling packages available for supported group rides. The Southern Tier is a bike route that runs close to Perry and Lep's facility. This route is from San Diego, CA to St Augustine, FL.

After leaving Jackson, I visited St Francisville then crossed the boarder into Mississippi. Unfortunately, Highway 61's shoulder is much narrower in southern Mississippi compared to Louisiana, but the traffic isn't as bad. I enjoyed a stay in Woodville, MS including some quality time with Francis and friends at The Town Square Cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment