Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Big Easy

French Quarter Street Performer

The Mighty Mississippi from the Algiers Ferry

The Big Easy

Friends In Audubon Park



Homeboys on the Water

Mardi Gras remnants
Where the spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
                              2 Corinthians 3:17

New Orleans, 'The Big Easy' was a much better experience than other times I've visited. Primarily, because I was hosted by a fine man named Ooti. I met Ooti  from Jason who is  a bread shop worker in Layfayette.  Although I had vague original encounters with these men, they were very instrumental in giving me a quality stay. I called Ooti the day before I arrived, and he had a place for me to sleep! Besides that, I was able to do some laundry and prepare a few meals during my stay. Hats off to Ooti and Jason for sharing their lives and resources with me. With that said, I want to thank all people who have helped others, as well as myself, to live higher quality lives through extending themselves in ways that take them out of their comfort zones. I want to say thanks for the people who can't say thanks.

I spent 4 days and nights in New Orleans and experienced Audubon Park, the Mississippi River Trail, the French Quarter and some good bike rides (especially along the river). The French Quarter was remarkable. I experienced a lot of free live music, entertainment, and a jovial environment...great place to be for a single 50 year old guy on a Saturday night!

My original routing has changed again in the 'Crescent City'. Instead of moving due east to Gulfport MS, Mobile, AL and Florida,  I've made the decision to move north early using the Mississippi River Trail as a navigational route. This trail has a lot of parks and recreational facilities to explore all the way to where the river starts in Itasca MN. Upon doing some research, I've come to the realization that the river is one of many functions. Besides its beauty and flat terrain, it's a powerhouse for economic trade from  the interior of the country to the rest of the world. I view the 'Big River' as being the cultural backbone to the United States. Ancestral people have been using this waterway for many ages. The river is natural, majestic and I'm taking this  opportunity to explore it. The future is now!

No comments:

Post a Comment