Monday, January 9, 2012

Rolling In To Houstontown

One beautiful Cow

Whoever is alive and believes in me will never die.
                                                    John 11:26

Cathy Shaw bike shop owner in Kyle helped me a lot with my routing to Houston. She printed up a map used by the BPMS150 which is a annual ride from Houston to Austin. This ride raises money and awareness for research for those effected by disease Multiple Sclerosis (MS). It's actually grown to over 10,000 riders that follow a route  designed for two days of travel.  It took me thru Bastrop where I witnessed remains of a terrible fire that burned here during Autumn. Several homes and one human life were lost. On a more pleasant note this route  goes through some beautiful cattle rich countryside.

I've noticed more lakes and rivers as I head east and truly feel like I'm moving into a jungle (compared with dry West Texas). The higher humidity in the air, accompanied by the nighttime dew and drizzle I notice on my sleeping bag, brings this realization to me. Local folks however have alerted me about the drought that has effected this region in negative ways. Most notably is the need to buy high cost feed for the livestock because of diminished grazing space. From my perspective though there are no shortages of green pastures. I guess people need something to complain about.

One thing I want to say is that the tap water around here is the best I've ever tasted! I'm pretty acclimated to buying bottled water and the general taste of water in America's southwest.  I feel like I've found a new fresh water spring when I drink east Texas water...GOOD STUFF.

No comments:

Post a Comment